Friends Come and Go... People Change as does Everything... So Roll the Dice and Come what May...
"More than friends I always pledged
Cause friends they come and go
People change as does everything" -- Ed Vedder
Ed Vedder wrote those lyrics to Pearl Jam's "The End." They resonate with me for a number of reasons, but none more than on this day. Yesterday I received a few beautifully written emails from friends overseas that I have not seen in a few years. I was moved equally by all their words but one in particular stood out.
My friend Hermance, whom I met while travelling in Nepal years ago, wrote to tell me about her life, the ups, the downs, the tribulations of motherhood, living in a foreign country and how the development of her heart and soul was all encompassing…
All three emails reminded me, once again, how unimportant my career aspirations are in terms of work, compared to the relationships I have built with these friends.
I said to myself… “I would trade-in my job any day if it meant losing one of their friendships. “ I’ve know this fact to be true of my character. I’ve always been true to my friends and that has helped me to be true to myself.
In 2007, I quit a $100+k job per-year because I fell in love with a beautiful woman from South America. I told my boss…” I met a woman. I’m in love. You won’t get much from me than drooling and gibberish from now on and this certainty of love only comes once in a lifetime.”
I travelled with her to Africa, through Europe and then uprooted myself to South America to build a life with her. I don’t regret that I lost my job or even if the relationship didn’t work out. I ended up with a broken heart. To get to the point… 2008 took an act of will both spiritually and in the flesh….
But that’s part of who I am. I roll the dice.
I never did and never will measure my wealth in terms of my job classification. My wealth is the experience and relationships for good or ill that I have made in this lifetime…
There is no greater feeling in this world than to have a friend tell you the following, and to know she means it…
“I hope you are feeling happy with the life you live, that you do not feel blocked or troubled by things that keep you from living to the fullest, and that you keep the openness, inner peace and stability to integrate new experiences in your being. I wish you love and send you love, Hermance”
I laugh now to think that in the middle of 2008 I was so far down in the well that it took an act of will…
Friendship is the souls renewal…
Cause friends they come and go
People change as does everything" -- Ed Vedder
Ed Vedder wrote those lyrics to Pearl Jam's "The End." They resonate with me for a number of reasons, but none more than on this day. Yesterday I received a few beautifully written emails from friends overseas that I have not seen in a few years. I was moved equally by all their words but one in particular stood out.
My friend Hermance, whom I met while travelling in Nepal years ago, wrote to tell me about her life, the ups, the downs, the tribulations of motherhood, living in a foreign country and how the development of her heart and soul was all encompassing…
All three emails reminded me, once again, how unimportant my career aspirations are in terms of work, compared to the relationships I have built with these friends.
I said to myself… “I would trade-in my job any day if it meant losing one of their friendships. “ I’ve know this fact to be true of my character. I’ve always been true to my friends and that has helped me to be true to myself.
In 2007, I quit a $100+k job per-year because I fell in love with a beautiful woman from South America. I told my boss…” I met a woman. I’m in love. You won’t get much from me than drooling and gibberish from now on and this certainty of love only comes once in a lifetime.”
I travelled with her to Africa, through Europe and then uprooted myself to South America to build a life with her. I don’t regret that I lost my job or even if the relationship didn’t work out. I ended up with a broken heart. To get to the point… 2008 took an act of will both spiritually and in the flesh….
But that’s part of who I am. I roll the dice.
I never did and never will measure my wealth in terms of my job classification. My wealth is the experience and relationships for good or ill that I have made in this lifetime…
There is no greater feeling in this world than to have a friend tell you the following, and to know she means it…
“I hope you are feeling happy with the life you live, that you do not feel blocked or troubled by things that keep you from living to the fullest, and that you keep the openness, inner peace and stability to integrate new experiences in your being. I wish you love and send you love, Hermance”
I laugh now to think that in the middle of 2008 I was so far down in the well that it took an act of will…
Friendship is the souls renewal…
-TheStory
Labels: Friendship, Hermance, love, Nepal, Pearl Jam, TheStory, thestorydoctrine, Toronto

3 Comments:
As I scrolled through some of my twitter @ mentions I came across your name today and decided to click through and read your latest post. This post really resonated with me since I too feel the same way about how I measure my wealth. Thank you for sharing this it helps me to feel inspired to live to the fullest.
Awesome post! Thanks for sharing that! Happy Days brother!
I felt 'The END' today. The lyrics is so vivid.
True friend would never end.
They go when they're done using
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home