Saturday, January 22, 2011

Have a Good Life...



In 2001 I travelled South Asia and South East Asia
on barely a dollar...

I was looking for something, and by God I found it.
l climbed like Hilary, got lost like Marlow
hiked the Himalayas in old running shoes,
swam in the Indian ocean on a dare,
dove in the Andaman Sea with hardly a breath
and in between it all...
I met some interesting people along the way.

I travelled to remote places in Northern India
and did the same in Western Nepal.
I fell in love, sat on rooftops at sunset,
read when I was alone, cried,
got my heart broken, lost it all
and found the strength to start again.
I caught flights on old Russian cargo planes
and rode in the back of dusty trucks
with migrants and livestock as a matter of choice.
I was travelling in a place worth the living.

I met people that invited me
into their homes, fed me what little
they had and gave me a place to sleep.
Salt of the Earth type of people.
People that didn't have much
but were rich in generosity.
We were Worlds apart.
But we had drink and we had heart
and that closed the distance.
We laughed when there was a joke
and we cried when it was time to part.
Those times tie me to the mast...

I don't remember all their names.
as I remember their faces.
But most of all, I remember their hands.
That memory is burned deep.
Weathered and torn hands like my fathers.
Hands that said more than
a lifetime...

I learned a lot about life from these people.
I learned how wrong I was living my life.

And then months down the line,
I found myself hitchhiking a lonely road
in Southern Thailand.

A blue eyed Angel named Kitty
from the Netherlands pulled over and
offered me a ride. She was straight out
of a Dylan song, in every way possible.
We were both travelling on the roll of a drum
to the same destination, Koh Phi Phi.

By the skin of our teeth, we spent
the next two weeks side-by-side,
sharing every thing nickel by dime by baht
that made us and kept us alive.

She used to be a hot shot executive for a Dutch
oil company. Then one day the bell rang backwards
and her life just changed.
Her best friend died of cancer.

She quit her job.
Material possessions became useless.
She moved to the north of Holland
and found herself in a one legged village
working as a waitress.
She said she found where it was at and made real
connections and friendships with each person
that walked into her life...

Through a great loss in her life,
She had found what she was looking for.

Often I'm drawn to her memory. It's how I hold
her hand. There were so many moments
where something she said, did or even
with a glance moved me by miles.

And in those moments, I would quietly remind myself
how I was the luckiest man on the planet.

We said we wouldn't exchange emails or addresses.
We left it to what it was. A moment in time.
A pure experience of Love.
Then we parted...

I shed many tears reckless and lost
and spent countless days
thinking about her... But it
was a nice memory to have
on the road, and a companion to me now.

I'll never forget her last words, the way
she said it, the look in her eyes
and how they still cut true to this day...

"Have a Good Life, eh."

And that memory folks... is my pocket ace for life.


-TheStory




Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home