There's no point in Direction... 2001
It was nine in the morning when I read the email
from his parents. He had walked into the Rishikesh for a swim...
I walked along the beach for hours in a state of shock.
The hours passed in a matter of seconds.
The Sun was setting. It was evening.
I walked to the village store and bought a bottle of cheap Thai Whisky.
I walked back to my beach hut, sat on the sand and drank the bottle.
I watched the stars. They stared back at me in silence.
I listened to the Andaman Sea crash on the shore, then retreat back to the Sea.
Over and over...
That night I dreamed I was in the Kathmandu airport shaking Sunjay's hand, saying goodbye.
Him and his giant backpack and skinny frame.
Four weeks into a year long adventure around the World...
He was one of the funniest Bankers I'd ever met.
He could read a person and react to how they felt, immediately.
He could read the mood of a room and change it with one joke.
Laughter was his gift.
Beautiful, crazy tones of English laughter.
That was his purpose.
To soak up all those sad feelings in the World...
2001 - Sunjay Via con Dios...
Labels: Friendship, loss, love, Nepal, sunjay, TheStory, thestorydoctrine

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home